Discover Sri Lanka: A Guide to Airlines and Beautiful Locations Near Airports
Sri Lanka is a small island nation located in the Indian Ocean, south of India. Known for its stunning beaches, ancient temples, wildlife reserves, and hill country landscapes, Sri Lanka is a must-visit destination for travelers seeking a unique and unforgettable experience. In this guide, we’ll take a look at the airlines that operate flights to Sri Lanka, as well as the most beautiful locations to visit near the airports.
Airlines that fly to Sri Lanka
Sri Lankan Airlines:
This is the national carrier of Sri Lanka and operates flights to several destinations in the country, as well as to other international destinations. The airline has a modern fleet of aircraft and offers a range of services, including in-flight entertainment and onboard meals.
This is a popular international airline that operates flights to Colombo, the capital of Sri Lanka. Emirates offers a range of flights to suit different budgets and travel needs, including economy, business, and first class.
This is another international airline that operates flights to Sri Lanka. Qatar Airways is known for its excellent service and offers a range of amenities, including in-flight entertainment, onboard meals, and comfortable seating.
This is a popular airline that operates flights to Colombo from several international destinations. Etihad Airways offers a range of flights to suit different budgets and travel needs, including economy, business, and first class.
This is the national carrier of India and operates flights to several destinations in Sri Lanka. Air India offers a range of flights to suit different budgets and travel needs, including economy, business, and first class.
This is an international airline that operates flights to Colombo from several international destinations. Oman Air is known for its excellent service and offers a range of amenities, including in-flight entertainment, onboard meals, and comfortable seating.
Airports in Sri Lanka
Bandaranaike International Airport (CMB):
Located in the city of Katunayake, about 35 km north of the capital city of Colombo, this is the largest and busiest airport in Sri Lanka. It serves as a hub for SriLankan Airlines and handles flights from several international airlines.
Mattala Rajapaksa International Airport (HRI):
Located in the southern part of Sri Lanka, this airport is primarily used for cargo flights and is the second international airport in the country.
Ratmalana Airport (RML):
This airport is located in the suburbs of Colombo and primarily serves domestic flights within Sri Lanka.
Jaffna International Airport (JAF):
Located in the northern part of Sri Lanka, this airport was recently renovated and serves as a gateway to the northern part of the country.
Batticaloa Airport (BTC):
Located in the eastern part of Sri Lanka, this airport serves domestic flights within Sri Lanka.
Beautiful locations to visit near Sri Lanka’s airports:
- Colombo is a bustling city that is home to several attractions, including the Galle Face Green, the National Museum, and the Gangaramaya Temple.
- Negombo is a coastal town located near Bandaranaike International Airport and is known for its beautiful beaches and seafood.
- Kandy, located a few hours’ drive from Colombo, is home to the Temple of the Tooth, which is one of the most sacred Buddhist sites in Sri Lanka.
- The ancient city of Anuradhapura, located near the Mattala Rajapaksa International Airport, is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is home to several ancient temples and ruins.
- The Yala National Park, located near the Mattala Rajapaksa International Airport, is a popular destination for wildlife safaris and is home to several species of animals, including elephants, leopards, and crocodiles.
- The southern town of Galle, located a few hours’ drive from Colombo, is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is known for its beautiful beaches, colonial architecture, and stunning fort.
Tips for travelers
- South India is a year-round destination, but the best time to visit is between October and March when the weather is pleasant.
- Pack light cotton clothes and comfortable shoes as the weather can be warm and humid in South India.
- It is advisable to carry a sun hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen as the sun can be intense in South India.
- Try the local cuisine as it is a significant aspect of the culture in South India. From dosas to idlis and biryanis, the food is a treat to the taste buds.
- Be respectful of the local culture and dress modestly, especially when visiting religious sites.
- Ensure that you have all the necessary travel documents, including passports and visas, if required.
In conclusion, Sri Lanka is a beautiful country with plenty to offer visitors. With several airlines operating flights to Sri Lanka and airports located near popular tourist destinations, it has never been easier to explore this stunning part of the world. From ancient temples to beautiful beaches and lush forests, there is something for everyone in Sri Lanka. Travelers are advised to plan their trip in advance, carry all necessary travel documents, and be respectful of the local culture. With these tips in mind, visitors to Sri Lanka are sure to have an unforgettable experience.
Nieuw in onze blog
19MARCH, 2023A Comprehensive Guide to the Health Risks and Precautions for Tourists in South IndiaIntroduction South India is a land of diverse cultures, languages, and landscapes. The region boasts of ancient temples,...
19MARCH, 2023Health in Sri Lanka for Tourists: What You Need to KnowIntroduction Sri Lanka is a beautiful island nation in South Asia known for its stunning landscapes, rich cultural heritage, and delicious cuisine. As...
19MARCH, 2023General Knowledge of South India for TouristsSouth India is a region in India that includes the states of Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, and Kerala. It is characterized by its diverse...